Top 5 Tips for Collecting Art
There’s no doubt about it: art just makes life better. From helping to cultivate a child’s creative development to inspiring sensations of true love, the list of benefits goes on and on. Who wouldn’t want to surround themselves with all their favourite work?
The prospect of starting an art collection can often seem a little overwhelming, the preserve of the super rich with squillions to spend. Well, we’re here to tell you that there’s nothing to be afraid of. Absolutely everyone can enjoy the benefits that come with buying and owning original art. Allow us to share with you our favourite tips on how to build a collection that will endure:
1) Know what you love. The first step to building a collection is to understand what drives your passion for art. What speaks to you? Visit as many galleries as you can to get a sense of what you enjoy. This is where Fresh: comes in!
2) Buy what you love. This is without a doubt the single most important piece of advice we can offer. A piece of art, as well as a financial asset, constitutes an investment in your own future pleasure and happiness. Go for the pieces that you can’t live without. Listen to your instincts.
3) Don’t be a slave to numbers. While it’s sensible to have a rough idea of how much you’d like to spend, being frugal doesn’t just mean saving your money – it means spending it wisely. Better to have a small selection of showstoppers than a larger collection of pieces chosen as a compromise.
4) Build relationships with galleries. You can never have too many friends in the art world. Building a rapport with curators and gallery experts will open up huge swathes of information on their artists and help you keep your finger on the pulse of new developments.
5) Frame it properly. Once you’ve added a piece of artwork to your collection, you’ll want to make sure that it’s protected. Many a great picture has suffered for poor presentation. Our resident experts Darbyshire will be on hand to offer the fruits of their long experience in conservation framing.
Book tickets now for Fresh Art Fair Ascot - 20-22nd September and take your first steps towards building the collection of your dreams.
Please note: We are delighted to be able to offer Own Art to visitors at Fresh:Ascot this September. Own Art is a national initiative that makes buying contemporary art and craft affordable by providing interest-free loans for the purchase of original work. Own Art loans allow you to borrow from as little as £100 up to £25,000 and pay it back over 10 or 20 months, completely interest-free. Follow this link for more information.